background

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Jesus is the Reason for the Season

Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace



Us as Christians know this. That Jesus is the reason of the season, but even as Christians, we get caught up in the hustle and bustle of decorations, trees, baking, shopping, gifts and greed. What should be a time of year to become closer to our Lord and celebrate the most wonderful day of the world, his birth, has even been manipulated by the Devil. Once again that Devil has found a way to entice us and wrap us up in the unimportant aspects of this holiday. The original concept of gift giving was a way to show people love, but now it is a way to buy people's love. People are consumed with buying, and wanting, the most expensive and up to date gifts and kids are disappointed when parents and "Santa" don't buy them everything in the entire toy store and don't realize they don't need it. Want, want, want. It is the word that makes this world selfish. I try to explain it to my kids, but even they are selfish about gifts. They look through the Toys R Us Big book and say they want it to everything (except the girl toys). I feel like I haven't taught them very well how to celebrate Jesus on this Holiday.

Just the other day I told my oldest, who is now 7 1/2, that we are attending worship service at 10am on Christmas Sunday, and he got mad!! I was shocked. I know he knows what Christmas is all about, but his reaction to having to go to church on one of the two most important days of the year, instead of staying home to play with his new treasures, made my heart unhappy. How do I draw that fine line. It's ok to get a few gifts at Christmas but it's NOT ok to be greedy and forget the real reason for the holiday. Jesus comes first! How did he miss that lesson? I think this year we are going to heavily concentrate on the story of the nativity and the real story of Christmas and remind them that the gifts are just a bonus, but not the reason for the holiday.

I want it to come naturally for my kids to just live with Christ in their hearts. I know that this is difficult for all humans because we are sinful beings, but I want them to wear Christ daily more than the average person. I want them to strive for that too.
I pray this season for people to step back from the commercial side of Christmas, accept Jesus into their hearts, and that I help my children understand the importance of the real meaning of Christmas.

God, please help my children keep Jesus and you in their heart this Christmas season, give me the words to share with them and others the true meaning of this holiday. Help others to step back and celebrate Jesus' birth and give to others who are in need instead of spending all their money on what they don't need. Help people realize that these bought gifts are merely things and that the real gift is what is waiting for us in Heaven. Keep us healthy and let us use our able bodies to serve others in need this season. Thank you for my many blessings and for your constant love and forgiveness. In your name I pray.
Amen.

3 comments:

  1. People are way too greedy and crazy around this time of year. It's sad that it brings out the worst in people, but at the same time, it brings out the best in people too.

    I wouldn't be too worried about thinking the boys are being selfish/greedy. I think most kids do that at some point (wanting every toy.) Have them each pick out a toy at the store to donate to the children's hospital.

    Don't forget, we used to do the same thing with the Sears Christmas catalog every year when we were kids, and we turned out okay...for the most part. :)

    I still remember my 7th (I think) birthday party, where after opening each present I smiled sweetly, said "Why thank you," then gave a stern "NOW LEAVE!" I thought I was being funny, but Mom put me in my place. :D If I recall, that was the year I got Exercise Barbie with her rainbow legwarmers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, you and Stacey are VERY worthy of it...don't think that...Mama Said Sew:)I sort of do remember when you thought, ok...I got my presents, now it's over. Haha. Ahh, yes, the Barbie phase. Stacey, Owen probably was just thinking it will be a nice, relaxing, time, not having to go anywhere, just staying home and playing:) Kids will be kids, but you're right in teaching them what you are about the real reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOPs! I posted part of my response here about the sewing machine, intending for it to go to your other blog, Stacey. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete